Most child care centers require a $25-50 one-time registration fee per child.
Some child care center waitlists are free, but some may require you to put down a $25 month deposit or more. It is recommended that families with young children get on multiple waitlists to increase their chance of securing child care.
- Average Waitlist Length for Infant Care (0-18 months) is 6 months to two years.
- Average Waitlist Length for Preschool Care (18 months-4 years-old) is 4 months to one year.
Back-up Hourly Care
You may want to budget a monthly cost for occasional back-up care for when your regular child care provider is closed due to illness, professional development, or vacation.
The average hourly cost for back-up care is between $13-15 per hour.
Questions to ask your child care provider:
- What is the annual registration fee?
- Is there a material or supply fee for books or classroom materials?
- Is there a charge for meals or snacks?
- Are there field trip fees?
- Are there any other additional fees?