The Kids-Kare program makes back-up child care affordable for UW-Madison faculty, staff and students by offering reduced rate services at Little Chicks Learning Academy. This program was developed in 2002 to meet the needs of back-up child care services for parents who:
- Need back-up care services when their current child care provider is ill or unavailable.
- Need other care in order to meet the needs of their work or family.
APPLY HERE or see details below.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Who provides these services?
Back-up/Hourly Child Care
The back-up/hourly child care is provided by Little Chicks Learning Academy who have a separate program to meet the needs of hourly/short term needs. Pediatric nurses Becky Ketarkus, RN, BSN and Jessie Pindilli, RN, BSN own and operate the facilities.
- Back-up and hourly care services are provided within Little Chicks Learning Academy 5003 University Avenue (corner of University Avenue and Whitney Way) for infants, toddlers and preschool children. Little Chicks is also licensed by the State of Wisconsin and City of Madison Accredited.
- Starting September 20th 2021, you can request evening reservations. During our pilot program, rates of care are the same as care provided during regular business hours. Evening care is available Monday-Friday from 5:30pm to 8:30pm and Saturdays from 9am-4pm. Please use our text line or reservation request form to reserve care.
Please visit the Little Chicks Learning Academy web site at www.universitykids.org for more information, including enrollment forms and unsubsidized costs. Call Little Chicks, (608) 233-7373, for current rates.
Who qualifies for this program?
Kids Kare was developed to meet the needs of UW-Madison parents for back-up child services. Through the program, income-eligible families pay a sliding-scale fee (based on annual income) for care at Little Chicks Learning Academy.
Back-up/Hourly Child Care:
- UW-Madison student parents enrolled in the Child Care Tuition Assistance Program (CCTAP) may use 50 hours of Kids-Kare services each semester at no cost. Funding for student families is provided through CCTAP with student segregated fees.
- UW-Madison student parents who are not eligible for CCTAP may still apply and receive financial support, paying a sliding-scale fee based on annual income.
- UW-Madison permanent faculty and staff parents may apply for Kids-Kare and receive financial support, paying a sliding scale fee based on annual income. Funding for faculty and staff families is provided through generous gifts from the UW Foundation Women’s Philanthropy Council, which has supported the program since 2006.
How do I apply?
If you are a UW-Madison student, faculty or staff:
- New online application now available: APPLY HERE
Once accepted into Kids-Kare, you will receive a confirmation letter. Eligibility will be verified and a rate determination will be made by our office prior to the start of services.
How is billing handled?
Students, faculty and staff who are enrolled in Kids-Kare will pay their reduced rate directly to Little Chicks. You will be notified of your co-pay amount as soon as your application has been processed. If you have questions about the Kids-Kare program, please contact Barb Douglas at (608) 265-9123 or e-mail email@example.com.